PROGRAMS & WORKSHOPS
Balunu offers a variety of workshops suited for delivery in schools, youth centres and in house. Our programs are inclusive of all youth including marginalised and disadvantaged youth in Darwin. We can also alter our workshops for delivery to families with youth aged children.
STRONG YOUNG WARRIOR PROGRAM
The strong young warrior program is a 10 week program targeted at Disengaged and at risk young men aged 12-25. This program focuses on restoring the spirit in a young person. “building strong spirits” Delivered on a one day a week bases, workshops will focus on cultural identity and belonging- getting back to our roots, life skills, shifting the mindset (positive thinking), and humanitarian task.
The strong young Tiddas program is a 10 week program targeted at Disengaged and at risk young women aged 12-25. This program focuses on restoring the spirit in a young person. “building strong spirits” Delivered on a one day a week bases, workshops will focus on cultural identity and belonging- getting back to our roots, life skills, shifting the mindset (positive thinking), and humanitarian task.
STRONG YOUNG TIDDAS PROGRAM
ROCK AND WATER WORKSHOP
Rock and water are workshops focused on Reflecting on the journey of trauma, past hurt, pain and choices we have to move forward. Both workshops are suitable for peoples aged 12+ including adults. Both workshops can be delivered upon request by fee for service.
Balunu’s healing camps focus on gathering at risk youth or disengaged youth to attend a 5 day healing camp away from the city. these camps take the young people on a journey of connecting back to roots and culture, reconnecting to our land, healthy eating, workshops and yarning.
HEALING CAMPS AND CULTURAL DAYS
The Mooditj program is positive lifestyles, positive relationships and sexual health program.
The Mooditj program aims to help young people learn about identity, understanding and expressing feelings, relationships, puberty, sexual health and to identify and work towards goals and dreams.
This program is often delivered in schools but can be delivered in youth centres. It is aimed at being delivered to youth between the ages of 12-17.
BALUNU HEALING & WELLBEING CAMPS
- The young people are referred to the program by local organisations, peers and self referrals.
- An assessment is taken of all referrals through a case management meeting. If the young person is successful they are then offered a place on the camp.
- The camps will cater for up to 10 youth per camp. The camps are held in a remote location across Darwin harbour at Madjabala (Talc Head).
- The camps are held over 5 days and include an array of intensive workshops and program activities.
- The young people are disconnected from the stress and chaos of the city through not having access to social media and technology, whilst providing them with a culturally safe place.
- The camps are gender specific and focus on information and activities that are linked to the wellbeing of the young person and are designed to increase engagement, motivation, resilience, optimism, personal development and build self-esteem.
- Reconnecting to elders, to culture, and traditional aboriginal art forms.
BLAC - BALUNU LEADERSHIP ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Blac is a group of 8 youth leaders from around the Darwin region. This group of young people drive the decisions, planing and outcomes of Balunu’s programs and events. They are the voice of Balunu.
Whilst also taking part in Leadership workshops, we hope we can guide these Young people to become strong speakers and leaders of their own communities.
Proud BLAC Members
- Raychelle McKenzie (chair person)
- T’ara Cole (co-chair person)
- Kyle Bambra
- Meera Boehme
- Moses Niki
- Calum Mckenzie
- Amy Kathleen
- Tia Young
Balunu offers intervention for youth who have recently faced crisis. this includes youth outreach, refferal’s to counselling and group therapy and youth support.
If you are currently facing crisis, please reach out.
Balunu can assist you with education or job pathways.
Want to study something at uni? Need help applying for a job or traineeship? Need direction in getting your license? Come in for a yarn or send us an email or message on Facebook.
EDUCATION AND JOB PATHWAYS
SUPPORT BALUNU HEALING FOUNDATION AND BE A PART OF THE CHANGE
4 Totem Rd,
Ludmilla NT 0820
The Balunu Foundation Ltd is a non-profit, Australian Public Company limited by guarantee incorporated under the Corporations Act 2001. Balunu is a public benevolent institution and registered charity, exempt from income tax and registered as a deductible gift recipient.
ABN 23 122 954 698